Job Title: Content Coordinator
Employer: Council Bluffs Convention & Visitors Bureau, Council Bluffs, IA
Reports to: Executive Director
The Council Bluffs Convention & Visitors Bureau is a private, not-for-profit, 501(c)6 organization with the express purpose of promoting Council Bluffs and Pottawattamie County as a travel destination. Travelers spend more than $300 million annually in Pottawattamie County according to the US Travel Association.
While the bureau has led the effort to promote the city’s tourism assets for approximately 30 years, it only in recent years became a separate, stand-alone organization governed by a seven-member board of directors. The CBCVB is a four-person team passionate about promoting Council Bluffs and enticing new visitors to our one-of-a-kind city – UNlike anywhere else. On purpose.
This position gives voice to Council Bluffs and Pottawattamie County’s travel and tourism experience. The coordinator is responsible for the development and management of all social media, publications, and content marketing efforts across paid, owned, and earned marketing channels.
- Develop and execute effective content marketing efforts, including but not limited to the development and timely deployment of a blog, social media posts, visitors guide, media releases, and e-newsletter. Manage consistent messages across traditional and digital media platforms.
- Capture, curate, write, design, and produce engaging social media content through an array of outlets including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube. Grow engagement and traffic/followers to pages. Keep the CBCVB on top of trends and the latest tools.
- Create and manage fresh, compelling content, blogs, and other means to improve SEO for UNleashCB.com. Serve as the lead to solicit content and update its database.
- Pull reports and analytics for website, social media, and digital advertising to measure performance.
- Initiate and nurture positive relationships with local media contacts and bloggers as well as those specific to the travel and tourism industry. Write and disseminate media releases.
- Collaborate and assist local stakeholders, Pottawattamie Countywide Tourism Promotion Committee, surrounding destinations, and the Iowa Tourism Office in curating content.
- Coordinate the production of the visitor guide including its content and advertising. Design and produce the content for other collateral materials, e-newsletters, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Capture quality images and video of local events and attractions for use in a variety of media.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and presentation skills with an emphasis on copywriting, editing, and proofing.
- Fully versed in SEO best practices and analysis of web and social media channels. A thorough understanding of primary social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Pinterest with an ability to pick-up emerging technologies quickly.
- Strong technical skills including knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of key elements of page layout and design. Includes ability to work with suppliers to produce appealing, high-impact communication materials.
- Education and/or training equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, web development, social media, tourism or related field, plus at least two (2) years professional experience in a content management role.
- Projects a positive attitude, willing to adapt to change, and sees him/herself as a member of the CBCVB team.
- Manages and prioritizes multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while remaining detail oriented.
- Must be capable of exercising independent judgement, discretion, and initiative. Utilizes tact and courtesy in frequent contact with business and industry representatives, government officials and the general public.
- Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as required.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Those candidates possessing experience in travel and tourism with a knowledge and appreciation of Council Bluffs are preferred.
How to Apply
To apply, please write a 300-word description of Council Bluffs touting the destination’s key assets and attractions for visitors. Send the writing sample, cover letter, and resume to Mark Eckman, Council Bluffs Convention & Visitors Bureau, 509 23rd Ave, Council Bluffs, IA 51501 by emailing it to meckman@UNleashCB.com. Council Bluffs CVB requests no phone calls or walk-ins regarding the position during the hiring process.
- Salary range: $40,000-48,000 (based on experience)